[FRIAM] mysticism

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Aug 22 15:21:25 EDT 2021

DaveW -

A well spun description. It definitely reached ME well.

I more often ponder, the "actuator" complement to your "sensor" subset
of the human /extended phenotype/.  I am more focused on how the
metaphor of the "lever" applies to things like power-tools,
transportation devices, etc.  how by magnifying one's "leverage" (force
multiplier) one diminishes one's sensitivity (often leading to damaging
the lever, the fulcrum, or the target of one's leverage).

However, sensor/actuator are tied together in my singular claim to fame
as "an Artist" was a piece I put together from found items that was in
fact accepted into a juried art show, making me officially "an Artist"
(though I prefer the term Artifex), which in turn gives me the
credentials (I assert) to claim anything I call art to BE art.   Or so
it seems to be the convoluted logic of the art world.

    Transit and Gun

    Tool of the Conquerors: Action at a Distance

    the Emic and the Etic

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D0LfO-NV6pAFQgiXYZNjeqNlQFpBoh5K/
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D0LfO-NV6pAFQgiXYZNjeqNlQFpBoh5K/>

I followed that piece with another equally simple/trite piece on a
related subject:

      Monkey Wrench Gang

      Foot in Mouth

      Tooth and Claw

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDfd4xxbGsKyKaadNptQQwj-TXhY9_3Y
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDfd4xxbGsKyKaadNptQQwj-TXhY9_3Y>

But this was not in a juried show, it was at Gerald Peters Gallery
<https://gpgallery.com/>as an open invitation to show the other piece as
well as an additional piece (unjuried).

Nominally, the "Emic" and the "Etic" provide the context of which end of
the gun/scope you are on, which end of the lever/tool.   Context matters.

- Artifex Smythe