[FRIAM] Eternal questions

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Mon Aug 23 15:37:01 EDT 2021

I have a small remote controlled R2D2 robot from Sphero. A present of my wife. If it is remote controlled it behaves as if it has intentions, desires and emotions, but of course it does not. The behavior just mirrors my intentions. https://youtu.be/YVwszeU3TVII would say real emotions are the tool used by genes to control their survival vehicles which work by setting up different levels of action readiness in certain situations (as Nico Frijda says). It should be possible to create artificial emotions that work like this.https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Emotions.html?id=QkNuuVf-pBMC&redir_esc=yFor example if we want a robot that autocharges itself we must create some sort of "hunger for energy". If we want a robot that protects itself against physical danger we must provide it with a sense of fear.-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Pieter Steenekamp <pieters at randcontrols.co.za> Date: 8/23/21  12:05  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Eternal questions The creators of the Aibo robot dog say it has ‘real emotions and instinct’. This is obviously not true, it's just an illusion.But then, according to Daniel Dennett, human consciousness is just an illusion.https://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/dennett/papers/illusionism.pdfOn Mon, 23 Aug 2021 at 09:18, Jochen Fromm <jofr at cas-group.net> wrote:"In today’s AI universe, all the eternal questions (about intentionality, consciousness, free will, mind-body problem...) have become engineering problems", argues this Guardian article. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/10/dogs-inner-life-what-robot-pet-taught-me-about-consciousness-artificial-intelligence-J.- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/