[FRIAM] On the: RLY!? side

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:31:23 EDT 2021

Pieter,

People are always tasking me to find examples of where dualistic thinking leads us astray.  I think you have one, here.  The idea of self deception (or any deception, for that matter) implies that there is a Truth of the matter outside all experience, and knowing that Truth is adaptive.  But if there is no truth outside of experience, then the only truth we have is in the form of predictions that “come true”, if you see what I mean.  Now, predictions can come true in different time frames, long and short, and those time frames relate to the persistence of a type of organism depending on the life-span of the organism.   Coming true means something quite different to a mouse and an elephant.   Now my guy, Peirce, has defined Truth as that upon which belief will converge in the very long run.  Where there is no ultimate convergence of opinion, in Peirce’s word, there just is no  Truth.  But no organism is  around for that asymptote to be reached, so selection is insensitive to it.  So, Pragmatically (and pragmatically, as well) we are left with “truths”,  those consistencies in experience that endure long enough to have an effect on selection.

Thanks, Pieter.  By god that was a New Thought!  Thanks for leading me to it.

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/