[FRIAM] Eternal questions

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 09:46:40 EDT 2021

Great contribution, Roger! The article targets composition that's severely lacking in our discussions each time they pop up. Here are the bullets I pull from it, caveat confirmation bias:

• clustering induction (model-free) as agnostic concept registration

• "The amygdala, on the other hand, is involved with processing and responding to threats — an ancient, subconscious behavioral and physiological mechanism. 'The evidence shows that it’s not always fear that causes the behavior,' LeDoux said."

• "where the physical processing of the sensory stimulus and the conscious experience of it are often bundled together. In both cases, LeDoux believes 'these need to be pulled apart.'"

• composition of "approach" and "avoid" into complexes of "decision-making" and "attention"
  · reuse of primitives for different higher order constructs (polyphenism), e.g. primitives for memory repurposed for blood sugar regulation (or vice versa)

All 4 seem to argue that "the hard problem" is coherent. If conscious experience is an interpretation of more primitive firing patterns, and each of our physiological networks (not merely the brain) *learns*, induces, derives, that interpretation and and and there's evidence of polyphenism all the way up the ladder, then inter-subjective experience should be relatively rare. E.g. when Bob wakes up startled, he interprets the situation into "fear". But when Sally wakes up startled, she interprets the situation into "excitement" or some other /a priori/, socially limiting, filter category.

--
☤>$ uǝlƃ