[FRIAM] Help for Afghanistan's scientists

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 14:54:27 EDT 2021

Afghanistan’s scientists see gains slip away
<https://nature.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c6057c528fdc6f73fa196d9d&id=c80118ecd1&e=1a06b8336c>

For 20 years, science has blossomed in Afghanistan. Now many researchers
are fleeing and those who remain face lost funding and the threat of
persecution. Humanitarian organizations such as Scholars at Risk are
working to find places for researchers overseas, but leaving the country is
extremely difficult. Scientists told *Nature *that they
<https://nature.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c6057c528fdc6f73fa196d9d&id=7af40eca5d&e=1a06b8336c>fear
for themselves and their families, and mourn the loss of a flourishing
science infrastructure
<https://nature.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c6057c528fdc6f73fa196d9d&id=bc545985c4&e=1a06b8336c>.
“We spent all our money, energy and time in Afghanistan to build a brighter
future for ourselves and our children,” says medical physicist Musa Joya.
“I really see a dark future.”

--
Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy