[FRIAM] Liberal dilemmas

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 15:51:14 EDT 2021

We talk politics sometimes and the "liberal paradox" has come up. This
seems like a variation on that. I've seen this comic for half a year now,
and it bugs me every time.

There is 1) an arrogance to "RIGHT THING", 2) an assumption that anyone
acting differently than you cannot have any explanation for their behavior
other than selfish idiocy, and 3) a self-centered belief that their
behavior is somehow a factor of you, rather than a choice of their own.
Even worse than those, 4) there is some fundamental lack of
decision-ownership that leads to some insidious places: The assertion that
what others are doing leads you to "have to" do something --- HAVE TO ---
rather than it being one of many factors that play into your *choosing *to
do it.

I'm vaccinated, and I wear a mask in public, and I dislike everything this
comic seems to be standing for. It is *anti*-liberal. It reveals deeply
authoritarian leanings, and a firm dedication to "othering" those around
you.

[image: image.png]

<echarles at american.edu>