[FRIAM] Liberal "othering" or statement of fact?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Aug 31 10:25:44 EDT 2021

Or *both*

On Aug 31, 2021, at 7:18 AM, thompnickson2 at gmail.com wrote:

So saith Paul Krugman:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/opinion/covid-misinformation-supplements.html

Once you’re sensitized to the link between snake oil and right-wing politics, you realize that it’s pervasive.

This is clearly true in the right’s fever swamps. Alex Jones of Infowars has built a following by pushing conspiracy theories, but he makes money by selling nutritional supplements<https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/05/how-does-alex-jones-make-money.html>. It’s also true, however, for more mainstream, establishment parts of the right. For example, Ben Shapiro, considered an intellectual on the right, hawks supplements.Look at who advertises<https://tvrev.com/whos-still-advertising-with-tucker-carlson-at-the-end-of-q2-2021/> on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show. After Fox itself, the top advertisers are My Pillow, then three supplement companies.Snake oil peddlers, clearly, find consumers of right-wing news and punditry a valuable market for their wares. So it shouldn’t be surprising to find many right-leaning Americans ready to see vaccination as a liberal plot and turn to dubious alternatives — although, again, I didn’t see livestock dewormer coming.

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/