[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:10:00 EST 2021

Thanks for the monist re-statements. From a perspective of inconsistency robustness (and a flowering of alternative consequence relations), Yagasawa's extension makes some attractive sense. But it seems to *break* Lewis' handling of consistency and completeness. I'm guessing we could argue that this is an inherent flaw in all monist conceptions. Pluralism allows for enlarging the universe of discourse as needed, maybe similar to the distinction in the conception of the universal Turing machine between an infinite tape versus a finite, but infinitely extensible tape. Are infinities real? Or a convenient fiction? I think those of us who believe in actual infinities *should* tend toward Lewis' modal realism and avoid the sophist[icated] prestidigitation inherent in monism. Even the hedging compromise of the parallel worlds interpretation of QM gives too much credibility to monism by metaphysically asserting universal laws across the multiverse, and using "dippy" trickery [Ω] to skirt infinities. En garde! >8^D

Ultimately, your pining for symmetry in, presumably bidirectional, traveling along a modal dimension (as opposed to the one way trip of a branching multiverse) sounds like a fideistic clutching to egalitarianism. Life isn't fair. It sucks; then you die. 8^D

I haven't the slightest idea how to respond to the Bildungsroman hook. I *think* Galen Strawson addresses ontogeny somewhere ... perhaps in "The Impossibility of Moral Responsibility", though Lewis handles Strawson's argument well, I think.

[Ω] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization#Attitudes_and_interpretation

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ