[FRIAM] Popper on Darwinism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 13 10:33:19 EST 2021

“*Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory, but a metaphysical research program—a possible framework for testable scientific theories.*”
                      Karl Popper.

I like this distinction but immediately wonder if it might provide some analytical / research means that could be applied to other "metaphysical research programs" — creationism for example, or the plethora of efforts, by scientists, to reconcile their faith with their science. Or, Newton's [and Jung's] (in)famous commitment to Egyptian Alchemy.

Would it be possible to use the Tao de Ching or the Diamond Sutra or Whitehead's Process Philosophy (not a random selection, I group the three intentionally) as a metaphysical research program and derive some interesting and useful science?

davew