[FRIAM] tolerance of the intolerant

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Dec 13 13:36:02 EST 2021

Thanks for the link to this specific treatment of intolerance. In my
youth, I was known to claim: "I am tolerant of everything except
intolerance" which of course was at best aspirational and more likely
just plain delusional.

While it applies well and obviously to the "culture wars" somewhat
unevenly but not without exemplary exceptions,  it also seems to apply
by extension to the elaborated context of the 2nd Amendment.   As a
"western man" raised on guns, guts and glory, I am comfortable around
guns and know that they can in fact be "useful tools" though less and
less so in modern society and most especially for a vegetarian like
myself.   What I am *intolerant* of is their use as tools for
bullying.   Among my gun loving acquaintances (some to be called proper
friends) there is a habit of brandishing the fact of their guns (and
ammo and ability and willingness to use both) in the face of those they
disagree with or disapprove of.   The ones I call friends probably don't
even realize that their "gun talk" has a bullying undertone they don't
recognize it is so "under".

I have a plethora of anecdotes (really, me?) on this topic but the
general theme seems to be to alert and remind others that they have the
willingness and ability to assert their will through deadly force
*at-a-distance*.   These are not (just) varmint guns (e.g. .22
single-shot rifles suitable for exterminating nuisance rats, squirrels,
gophers, skunks, bunnies, raccoons, and even coyotes and bobcats from a
dozen yards away) or even "deer rifles" (small capacity, medium caliber,
bolt action, possibly scoped, suitable for killing a medium sized animal
from up to 100 yards away), but instead most often weapons designed for
*modern* warfare variously with the potential for *very* high capacity
magazines, rapid-fire shooting (even without a low-tech bump-stock),
specialized ammunition (variously for piercing armor and/or causing
extreme hydrostatic shock) and precision targeting at a great distance
(high-velocity rounds, extreme optical magnification and even
night-vision).  When noted that such are not useful for any obvious
*legal* or *sane* application, they stakes get raised to implying the
need to "throw off government tyranny".   My "local" police department
(Pojoaque Pueblo) has all of these weapons as well, and more, including
armored personnel carriers handed down from the military (yay?).   They
had them on prominent display for years but recently seem to have found
a garage somewhere to keep them in, I doubt they have relinquished these
"toys", I think I see them out for maintenance now and then.

I don't talk much with my gun-nut friends about their arsenals, I'm
prone to end up saying things like "Come the Apocalypse, while I don't
own any guns, I know lots of people who do, and where they keep them and
whether they actually properly secure them".   This really raises
hackles, so I don't even start down that path.    It all (including my
implied threats) seems to be a (re)assertion/corollary to "Might makes
Right" which is obviously compelling to the logic that builds and
maintains bullies.

The paradox of intolerance applies acutely to the reality of bullies...

- Steve