[FRIAM] Dear Long Suffering Colleagues

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 13:41:29 EST 2021

Taken in reverse order:

3) Yes, with A ⇒ B ⇒ C, A is behind the screen we call B. But notice that with A ⇐ B ⇐ C, B still screens off C. Flipping the arrows is one way to permute the sentence. Another way to permute the sentence is: C ⇒ B ⇒ A. Instead of flipping the arrows, we flip the sentence ... I suppose like the converse. The term "screening off" is a meta-sentence. It's a sentence about sentences.

As long as there is only one path from C to A or from A to C, and that path is mediated by the medium of B, then A and C are screened off by B.

2) Yes, it's unfortunate that we use "causal" in the way we do. Think of that word as *ambiguous* and the way Sober uses it as a jargonal word that is unrelated to English or other natural languages. (It's not. But it's best to think that way.)

1) I disagree. People write all sorts of weird sh¡t. ... like poetry. Who writes that stuff? What the hell are they doing that for? Just confuse us? Pfft.