[FRIAM] bad covid story

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 13:13:24 EST 2021

Well, EricC's completely wrong that the family "deserves our empathy", but not because of any ambiguity in the concept of "empathy". He's wrong because of the concept of "deserving".

I had an attitude altering discussion with a friend of mine back in college. Some circumstance brought to a head the question: Should you treat strangers with respect until they demonstrate they don't deserve it? Or should you treat strangers with [indifference|non-respect] until they demonstrate that they deserve it? My answer was the former. His answer was the latter.

Empathy is yet another cognitive process by which we prioritize our actions. In both these stories, the citizens of concern (unvaccinated and anti-mask versus explicitly stated racism), empathy (or the lack thereof) helps us prioritize where we *spend* our resources. We had a conversation, here, awhile back about the role of fiat currency and alternative mechanisms like reciprocity. These stories are triggering precisely because of the obvious asymmetry and non-reciprocol respect ratios.

That family does not deserve *our* empathy. Neither does the Nazi. ... not because I am "illiberal", but because they actively deny and thwart the respect-mediated economy. We should prioritize against such people in the face of limited resources.

--
glen
Theorem 3. There exists a double master function.