[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:09:42 EST 2021

I don't have much to contribute here as finance has always eluded me. A
couple of years ago, a researcher friend of mine turned me on to
Quantopian[$]. I had always meant to get involved because their model seemed
interesting. One develops a trading algorithm, Quantopian paper trades using
the algorithm for some amount of time, if the algorithm makes a profit then
trade goes live, the author making some percentage of the profit. It seemed
like a pretty cool setup for analysts to develop theories and algorithms. It
is funny to me that they were recently purchased by Robinhood.

My conspiratorial homunculus cannot help but wonder whether the instigators
on Reddit were not part of such an organization in the first place. Even if
not, perhaps it will be a useful strategy for the biggest guys in the
future. As EricS points out, the strategy ultimately benefits the biggest of
the big guys. A couple of years ago, Seth Lloyd gave a pretty cool Ulam
Lecture on related mechanics. The metaphor seemed to connect the transfer of
wealth between institutions to the transfer of matter between celestial
bodies[₤].

"We are the dollars and cents, the pounds and pence. We're going to crack
your little souls, crack your little souls." - Thom Yorke

[$] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantopian
[₤] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5He7bYM7beM&ab_channel=SantaFeInstitute

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/