[FRIAM] mathematics and politics

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:18:21 EST 2021

To some extent I agree, though I reject the choice of either A *or* B. I
prefer to make room for longer formal expressions and attempt to make use of
them as their own thing. When confronted by need I partially evaluate as
needed.

We live in a post-net-neutrality era of Instagram influencers, Twitter mobs,
doxers, and cancel culture. The post-net-neutrality constraint seems
important as it contributes to defining an optimizing function for our
polity. Today, the most politically savvy of us is so exactly because they
*internalized* this. These are social times, and by that, I mean political
times. Persona trades high and nearly all of us, especially in these
unprecedented times, have a steady diet of dynamically curated media. There
is to my mind ample reason for caution and skepticism regarding the rhetoric
I, and those around me, adopt.

My concern with acting on appearances, and seeking the Polly Anna I wish to
see in the world, is one of Hebbian correction and is similar to the concern
I feel when reminded that Jesus has a plan. The disconnect can be very real
in its facilitating of future canalization, the very real danger of forming
a banality of evil. OTOH, I agree that we *must* care for how rape victims
respond to their treatment and elderly neighbors respond to news of gang
violence downtown. That is if we hope for polity at all.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/