[FRIAM] mathematics and politics

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:58:11 EST 2021

Glen wrote:

On a tangential note, our pervasive "battle rhetoric" around slogans like "fight cancer" or Trump's "fight like hell" is overwhelmingly AT FAULT for this machismo. And the first step to realizing why "fight cancer" and "fuck cancer" piss me off in the worst way is to know that such language is at least 1 primary reason we have so many morons out there refusing to wear masks and believing QAnon crap.

Boy, Howdy, do I agree with this!  The Orwellian normalization of violent language is as obvious on the left as on the right.  Try to get through a Sanders or a Warren speech without encountering the word “fight”.   In that context, Trump’s “Go down to the Capital and fight….” Is going to seem poor evidence of incitement to assault.

While I am on a Orwellian rant, please consider the defanging of words like unbelievable, incredible, and their cognates.  Incredibly-unbelievably has come to mean “very”, and unbelievable-incredible to mean “good.”  When we have abused these words in this way,  where do we go to express the meaning, “unreliable, implausible, not worthy of belief or consideration”.  As Orwell would have predicted, the abuse of these words exactly coincides with our national crisis in credibility.  And “absolutely”.  Absolutely has come to mean. “yes” or “I agree”,

Nick

‘

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com