[FRIAM] ethical dilemma

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 13:18:42 EST 2021

Ah. Ok, I will try again. I take it that when you ask whether this or that is
*ethical*, you are asking not only for a result but also for a framework for
interpreting that ethical result. As I suspect you would guess about me, I
am uncertain that there is almost ever a *natural* choice of ethical
framework, and so I am often left to rely on aesthetic choices when
interpreting the ethics of a given situation[⊤]. Any ethics that I am
willing to accept must not strictly do for others. There is the
responsibility to honor one's self, compassion for one's self as well as
others. Any ethics I can accept will inevitably present arbitrary choices
whose resolution comes free of penalty, regardless.

Aesthetically, I side with *you having the liberty* to pitch in with your
co-workers if you wish. It would be novel if you can come to an arrangement
with your employer where you are laid off, thus collecting a more reasonable
wage, all the while being allowed to continue your work[$]. It may also be
the case, that there are better ways to support your co-workers once you at
liberty to behave differently.

Similar to the idea that one's vote doesn't matter, I tend to think that
one's personal drain on the social infrastructure doesn't matter. I have
friends that rely on food stamps to fund their artistic lives, and I cannot
see blame for this. We are a civilization with tremendous abundance, and we
need art, we need individuals following spiritual pursuits of all kinds. We
need individuals who abstain. Additionally, I tend to reject the protestant
compulsion to *make hay for hay's sake*, Earth has too many paperclips.

To *knowingly lie* might be the only agency you have to do an ethical thing.
While for you it is a lie, for the API you are interfacing with it is simply
a POST or a GET.

Invoice: 2¢

[⊤] I experience a similar aporia when asked about the *truth* of anything
but the most tautological of propositions (true in all possible
non-degenerate logics, say).

[$] I feel something of an ethical responsibility to shrink the economic gap
across our culture.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/