[FRIAM] what complexity science says ...

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 13:27:47 EST 2021

I am not sure it fair to say *entirely falsifies how the cochlea works*. In
some sense, we perform *at least* a Fourier transform, even if it isn't
computed completely at the cochlea. We, and especially musicians, find it
more natural to speak about sound in terms of spectra (timbre and pitch,
say) than changes in pressure. While I can understand how replacing the
cochlea (an embodied architectural organ) with a device that performs
transforms can fail, by the time we experience pressure as sound, we have
spectra.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/