[FRIAM] what complexity science says ...

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Mon Feb 8 17:16:26 EST 2021

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:22 AM <thompnickson2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clearly the diagram is non-sense, right?  It depicts amplitude but claims
> to provide frequency or wave length data.  But both of the latter require
> differential “representation”, right.  Moreover, the depiction of  the
> cochlea as flat and “unrolled” is one of those “assume-a-spherical-cow”
> things.  Cows aren’t spherical and cochlea aren’t flat AND they ARE  cooped
> up in a bony spiral.  How does that distort the wave as it sloshes around
> the spiral, constantly turning right?  And what about back waves arising
> from the pulsing of the lower window?

Yes, it was flattened out. Here's more of the spiral look with the lower
frequencies picked up further into the apex:

[image: image.png]

One model is that the stereocilia "hair cells" are of different lengths
along the basilar membrane and resonate to different frequencies in the
pressure wave.

*Nick initially wrote:*

> * As usual I overstated the case.  But the cochlea IS a piece of meat, not
> a gang of oscillators*.

My initial response was to counter that "This meat does have oscillators"

 the hair cells along the basal membrane are the oscillators (think spring
model) that transduces the frequency of the linear momentum to electrical.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png][image: image.png]

(As an aside, I would guess the opposite direction where the transduction
goes from electrical signal to oscillating hair movement is probably the
dual in something like the cilia of a paramecium if the calcium gradient is
reversed.)