[FRIAM] 12 Life Lessons From Mathematician and Philosopher Gian-Carlo Rota

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:31:59 EST 2021

Hm.

A - Most researchers who take their work seriously will put in the extra effort to ensure it’s well presented.

B - Don’t worry about small (contingent) mistakes.

That smacks of either a contradiction or a resolvable conflict. Though perhaps there's some wiggle room in the "most researchers". There exist some researchers, who take their work seriously, yet who don't worry about small mistakes. Or perhaps there's wiggle room in "well presented". "Well presented" doesn't (necessarily) exclude (all) small mistakes.

I'm sure I'm alone, here. But in the end, ethical, aphoristic, vague heuristics like these are nearly useless. They speak to those who are pre-adapted to hear them. The rest of us spin around asking "What does *that* mean?!?!" And "what does *that* mean!?!"

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ