[FRIAM] what complexity science says ...

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Feb 9 18:12:37 EST 2021

I wonder a bit about the image of waves reflecting etc.

Speed of sound in water is (say) 1500 m/s
Upper range of hearing for most young people is about 20kHz
100 cm / m

So the shortest wavelength one would get in a fluid in the skull should be about
100 *1500 / 20000 = 7.5  (cm)

I read somewhere that the length of the cochlea unrolled is about 3cm.  Double it for a round trip.

So the extreme upper range of what most young people can hear just fits one wavelength long-wise in that fluid, assuming its wrap around the membrane makes a waveguide (probably not a great assumption).

I assume that means that for most of the range of sounds people hear, the fluid motion is —not “laminar”, that isn’t the right word, but — but effectively infinite wavelength.  If that is not very wrong, then much of whatever motion there should be should come from elastic response of the enclosing vessel, between pressure sources input on one side, and an essentially ambient pressure reference on the other.  So almost as if there is a long reed-like drumhead between two long cylindrical fluid volumes, one made to oscillate in pressure relative to the other.  Where there is strong response should I guess be governed by the shape and elasticity of the reed and some kind of incompressible flow condition in the two fluid volumes.

I guess all this has been modeled to death, but I never learned any of it.

Eric