[FRIAM] Texas Power

Frank Chambers chambersfw at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 14:12:40 EST 2021

I have been interested in what has been happening with power in Texas. I taught Thermo II, which covers powerplant cycles and I understand the problem of a system designed to meet peak loads which occur in the summer. Some units, the less efficient ones, used to meet peak summer loads are shut dondown for the winter. I contacted a friend who is retired from OG&E, the Oklahoma utility. He managed their big Sooner Lake powerplant. He said:
"As far as the plants go, I would think they are having gas freezing problems, and Texas might have had too much wind in service and it takes awhile to start up the gas units if having freezing problems."
He was wrong about the wind component which is small. I did not know about freezing in natural gas lines - it apparently involves water or hydrates formed from water in the lines. I did see a mention of natural gas well-head freezing in one newspaper article.  I found what is sort of a promotional paper, but it explains the freezing.https://asgmt.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf-docs/2011/1/T06.pdf

This Texas Tribune article from Monday describes the problem with trying to implement rolling blackouts while exempting areas serving hostpitals, etc. https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/15/rolling-blackouts-texas/

The New York Times had an article which seems like a very reasonable analysis and it is not so accusatory. Climate change is exacerbating weather extremes and planning for them.https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/climate/texas-power-grid-failures.html

I have just finished reading climate scientist Michael Mann's new book, "The New Climate War." It focuses on the policies and politics of fighting climate change. I recommend it.
Frank

Frank W. Chambers2 Sabroso Pl.Santa Fe, NM 87508Home:  (505) 466-1942Cell:  (405) 614-4353