[FRIAM] academia as a market of ideas

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Feb 18 22:24:56 EST 2021

I contend that such a market (any market really, but this one more
acutely I think) must have room for a rich commons to be healthy.

From:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/commons-beyond-market-vs-state-dilemma/

    /The commons try to situate themselves outside the subject-object
    reductionism that would lead to their commodification. The commons
    cannot be commodified (because they cannot be transferred, or
    alienated), and they cannot be the object of individualised
    possession. And so they express a qualitative logic, not a
    quantitative one. We do not ‘have’ a common good, we ‘form part of’
    the common good, in that we form part of an ecosystem, of a system
    of relations in an urban or rural environment; the subject is part
    of the object. Common goods are inseparably united, and they unite
    people as well as communities and the ecosystem itself.
    /

Perhaps the biggest flaw in this formulation we are flirting with here
is that of "ideas as property"?