[FRIAM] academia as a market of ideas

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:10:37 EST 2021

"There was once a woman in El Dorado..."

I appreciate that you are introducing *the particular* into the discussion,
exactly those things which escape symmetry. Additionally, she introduces
*value* by means that escape direct valuation or rather is prior to
evaluation. There is something about referring to her *treatment* that is
reminiscent of the idea expressed in the *curried function* discussion we
were having, something that I wish to reach for in responding to DaveW's:

"...but I think FRIAM might. Lot's of ideas put out that attract no response
while others spawn long threads."

It may be the case that the value associated with the woman in El Dorado's
*treatment* doesn't actualize, but instead *lies in wait*. Ideas seem much
to me of this kind too, the value to me (as a seller) and value to the
*market* need not instantaneously agree (arguably while preserving
'efficiency' in the market more generally).

Again, I am very much a tourist here, economic thinking has never been
natural to me. Recently, I reframed an Alphonse Mucha print that I have from
1901. It needed an archival frame and conservation glass. Not only do I not
know about the relationship between the value of an object in a market
versus its value to me, but I also do not know the former without probing
for a buyer. What is the value of my investment in the archival framing of
the Mucha? Maybe less ambiguous[1] would be the investments people put into
their homes: new kitchens, decks, roof, etc... Much of the discussion around
economics hover about the language of generality (equivalence, substitution,
extension), but you bring up (as well as DaveW's aborigines) with the
language of particulars, an idea very much worth developing. Still, that I
feel this doesn't mean anything about the value Friam will give to the same.

[1] Well almost, the housing market (or a bank) clearly values off-grid very
differently than on-grid. I find it difficult to acquire loans for the
off-grid, the particular.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/