[FRIAM] Interview with Jeremy Howard

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Thu Feb 25 11:34:16 EST 2021

In poker terms, I’ll meet your 20 years and raise it to 60. When I was
a freshman, Harvard had optional non-credit seminars to introduce us to
some advanced work. The one I took was on computer science before that
was a phrase, much less a department. My project was with Anthony
Oettinger and Susumo Kuno on automatic language translation. This was
when they were discovering how hard it is — some of the examples I
remember are “Couples applying for marriage licenses wearing pedal
pushers will be denied licenses” has about 120 grammatical
interpretations, and “Time flies” has several (noun ‘time’, verb
‘flies’ or imperative verb ‘time’ and insect subject
‘flies’).

They were still excited about the usefulness of a software technique
they called a ‘pushdown store’ for parsing sentences. Today we call
it a stack. Chomsky’s transformational grammar work was still very new
then.

I’m not surprised that the methods that succeeded in language
translation seem to be an end run around the early methods used then.

—Barry