[FRIAM] There is style and then there is mood

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:40:14 EST 2021

I spent the working day listening to  Arvo Pärt
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3xhWPhffc&ab_channel=VSPmusicali&t=0s>
and now I am experiencing a not unfamiliar experience. Voicings relegated to
the back of my mind auto-hallucinate music not in the style, but in the mood
of Pärt. There is no particular melody or theme but instead simply, and
non-specifically, a feeling. If pressed to denotationally represent the
experience, I would find the direct translation to  tintinnabuli
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintinnabuli>  , to arpeggiated tonic triads,
and counter-stepwise diatonic motion. Such a representation, however, would
be secondary to the actual experience, to the experience of wistful longing,
endless expanses; the intensity of all-consuming and stoic loneliness. What
is this that I produce?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/