[FRIAM] Subjective experience & free will

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sat Feb 27 16:28:54 EST 2021

I am reading a book about Leibniz and started to wonder if the hard problem of consciousness could be the reason why we have the illusion of free will and can not predict how others will act. From the outside a person seems to have free will in principle. From the inside everybody feels something different and is controlled by emotions based on subjective experience, which is unknown to others, because the individual is not transparent and the history is not known.Once we investigate the life of a person, for example by a detective as part of a criminal investigation, or as movie viewers in a cinema, we start to understand why a person acts they way it does. The more we step into the footsteps of a person, the better we understand the feelings, goals and motives.Could it be that the same thing which  prevents us from understanding the subjective experiences of others also creates the illusion of free will?-J.