[FRIAM] truth, reality, & narrative

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Tue Jan 5 13:29:45 EST 2021

The book from Walsh & Stepney looks interesting. It reminds me of the recent article from Muthukrishna about "Psychology as a historical science"https://henrich.fas.harvard.edu/files/henrich/files/historical_psychologyv20.pdfSusan Stepney has an interesting blog too where she recommends and reviews books, recently for instance "Elliptic Tales: curves, counting, and number theory" from Avner Ash and Robert Grosshttp://susan-stepney.blogspot.com/2020/05/rational-conics.html-J.
-------- Original message --------From: uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ <gepropella at gmail.com> Date: 1/5/21  18:02  (GMT+01:00) To: FriAM <friam at redfish.com> Subject: [FRIAM] truth, reality, & narrative Yes, I know. I'm a broken record. But playing off SteveS' recent post about QAnon being gamified "social reality", the recent exchange with EricS regarding the necessity but insufficiency of merely assuming a stable reality to be converged upon, I think I may have a way to listen to the election deniers with empathy. I'm only engaged in this *because* all the credible sources refuse to address the *arc* in all their debunking. It's akin to why arguing facts won't change the minds of the religious. Their debunking addresses the parts, but not the whole. If we are ever to build a logic that validates against human reasoning, we'll have to do both, treat the parts and the composition of the whole from the parts. Anyway, my remedial rhetorical trajectory goes like this:Coming back to Walsh & Stepney's project: https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319647128Plus stories that predispose: • Appel, M., & Richter, T. (2007). Persuasive effects of fictional narratives increase over time. Media Psychology, 10(1), 113–134.  https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Persuasive-Effects-of-Fictional-Narratives-Increase-Appel-Richter/bf1c7e56694d797444a16606d46f9d0910e60d3d• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_effectPlus analytical (Freudian & Jungian) vs. narrative (conspiracy theories and occult causation) persuasion:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transportation_theory_(psychology)Plus "social reality": https://undark.org/2021/01/01/book-excerpt-seven-and-a-half-lessons-about-the-brain/Finally, trying to steelman Trump's Georgia call:https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/03/politics/trump-brad-raffensperger-phone-call-transcript/index.htmlBasically, since he believes the down-ballot R's won on his coattails, it's paradoxical that he didn't win. To resolve the paradox, by faulty inference to the best explanation: the race between him and Biden (but not the down-ballot races) was manipulated, by hook or crook. Occam's razor might suggest that he's simply *not* as popular as the down-ballot candidates. But that's faulty reductionism. There's overwhelming evidence that Trump's "advocacy" amplified R rhetoric. So Biden-Trump race manipulation remains.Shifting from steelmanning Trump to steelmanning his supporters: Of course, if Trump is the "discounting cue" ... that adds an interesting wrinkle. Everyone, even his ardent supporters, know he's incredible (!). But his incredibility both 1) makes the bullsh¡t he says more believable (by the sleeper effect) and 2) argues for keeping him around as the coal miners' canary. He "speaks truth" even if he's incredible and embarrassing.-- ↙↙↙ uǝlƃ- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservZoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comarchives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/