[FRIAM] Fallback in barbarism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Jan 9 15:31:49 EST 2021

Steve writes:

< Among all of the other points you make, the one about how *relatively* benign the event turned out to be (compared to it's worst potential incarnations) gives me some kind of hope [..]>

What is the hypothesis here?   That they wanted to show they could do something, but not do something?
That the plastic ties for taking hostages were just for the drama of the picture?   That if they found Pence of Pelosi they'd just take a selfie with them looking scared and say "Gotcha!"  It COULD be, but how do we KNOW that.

What I see are extremists that are motivated by backward cultural goals.    Another group, ISIS, has had a similar MO, and they don't hesitate to video decapitations.   I think there is a *cautionary* argument for leaning forward on these people.  I expect that just because they are white, people are prone to thinking they are any less crazy.    So via their white privilege they are labeled "yahoos" (e.g. misguided neighbors that are redeemable) and not terrorists.   The time to break their will is now, before they take another pass at this.

Marcus