[FRIAM] Great Communicator or NLP unto TDS

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Jan 10 12:57:03 EST 2021

I didn't take the bait on Friday's vFriam when DaveW (as I remember)
claimed that Donald J Trump was "a great communicator".   (same as
Reagan was credited by his fans and perhaps more reluctantly his
detractors?)

I suppose Trump is very effective at one mode of transmission of his
ugliest sentiments, which I find to be at best a very degenerate form of
CO mmunication.

Whatever skills he has for "reading a crowd" and reflecting back that
which serves his purposes feels more like Neurolinguistic Programming
(NLP) than "communication".

I believe it is duplicitous and divisive to claim he is "a great
communicator"  That implies both depth and breadth, that he is listening
to a broad swath of the country and he is speaking to a broad swath.
Perhaps by a twist of interpretation, you *can* claim that he has his
finger on the pulse of those he whips into a seditious and
insurrectional frenzy as well as those he cannot so instead whips into
what has been called "Trump Derangement Syndrome" (TDS).  His apparent
ability to instigate TDS in virtually everyone (type A or type B) is
somewhat unique...  though authoritarian figures around the world have
done it for millennia?

One (DaveW?) could also argue his sublime ability to give clear
direction/orders to his underlings (e.g. Michael Cohen, et al) without
ever actually saying anything indictable.  This is the stuff of Crime
bosses, right?   Very effective communicators within a very narrow (and
useful to them) context.

DaveW's assertion on Friday provided me the perspective and motivation
to look a little deeper into the question of just what makes Trump's
style of communication so dangerous.  The previous post with the
Politico article about Sedition vs Insurrection came to me from that
unconsciously I think.

- SteveS