[FRIAM] Great Communicator or NLP unto TDS

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 11 20:01:56 EST 2021

DaveW did not claim Trump was a great communicator — he did (attempt to) cite Scott Adams' book, *Win Bigly,* where Adams, who considers himself a great communicator, argued that Trump was the same and that was why he was going to win the election against Hillary — which he did.

Steve adds: *"I believe it is duplicitous and divisive to claim he is "a great communicator"  That implies both depth and breadth, that he is listening to a broad swath of the country and he is speaking to a broad swath."*

Adams argues, and I completely agree, that this is exactly what Trump did in 2016, does today, and will continue to do in the future. A broad enough swath to win in 2016 and attract 40 million votes in 2020.

I said in 2016 (when I was also predicting Trump's win) that it was a huge mistake for Democrats and the Media then, to focus on the 1-10 percent of Trump supporters who were certifiably wacko and card carrying members of the "Basket of Deplorables," and pretending the 90-99% did not exist and did not have legitimate and perhaps even reasonable reasons for supporting someone — for policy and philosophical reasons — that they found to be despicable as a person.

In this post, I believe SteveS is perpetuating that mistake.

While ranting, may I remark that the social media and tech platforms essentially removed themselves from rule 230 protection (when it gets to the courts) by banning Trump and Parler. Modifying 230 is a bipartisan objective, but it will be real interesting to watch the rhetorical contortions the Dems will have to perform when considering actual legislation.

davew