[FRIAM] Talent and Moral Luck - Steelman attempt

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:19:14 EST 2021

That is true, though not free of further consideration. Eric's steelman
highlights a tight coupling between individual and society, tight enough
that actions on the *negative space*[1] of society are effective actions
induced on the individual. Similar arguments arise when we talk about
lowering one's individual carbon footprint by not driving. Extensionally,
this is fine but ignores the fact that computational difference amounts to
much more than *convenience* in practice[2]. Not driving is self-gimping and
only makes it harder to influence the necessary change.

That said and in further response to Barry, to treat Trump as a felon (which
he likely ought be) and to exact this judgment through indirect means sets a
dangerous precedent by ignoring type. However, maybe this is what we want
our society to be like? I think I must be ok with the idea that it is
*mobsters all the way down*, but again, I keep hearing idealistic talk of
ethics on this server.

[1] To pull in jargon another current Friam topic:
http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/a-more-focused-and-actionable-set-of-articles-of-impeachment-Sedition-vs-Insurrection-td7600137i20.html#a7600227

[2] Apologies if I am x-splaining. Your posts make it very clear that you
think a lot about computation.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/