[FRIAM] Talent and Moral Luck - Steelman attempt

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:17:39 EST 2021

Steve,

Well, when good threads are bent, you and I will bend them.

Let me complete my thought:  There are two kinds of feminism here, right?  [Merle, please be kind.]  One claims that women are not different, and therefore should be treated equally.  The other claims that women are or may be different but that males’ and females’ natures are to be valued equally.  I have always leaned toward this sort of feminism.  But I see now that, insofar as it captures every woman I meet in a stereotype, this sort of feminism is itself sexist.  Every time I meet a woman, I engage in the following abductive-deductive logic:

              This person is wearing a skirt (say) and has long hair (say).

              This person is probably a woman.

              Women are less likely to be aggressive A-holes than men,

              Therefore, I (probably) can relax around this person.

There is no escaping the  sexism of this logic.

I listen every week to a podcast, Strict Scrutiny, which begins with the aphorism:

I ask no special favor for my sex; I ask only that you take your feet off our necks

I was raised near the end of a rural road during WWII.  My only chum, from about 1 year to adolescence was a girl.  After the War, my parents moved to Boston.  Before we were separated, we had a long chat about gender, she and I, and agreed, sadly, that I was lucky to be a guy.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/