[FRIAM] Talent and Moral Luck - Steelman attempt

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:25:58 EST 2021

I learned a phrase for missing analytical extensions today: hermeneutical lacunae. But the discussion on premature registration deserves a bit more content in light of such lacunae. The problem BC Smith brought to light was not *premature* registration, but *preemptive* registration. So, here, when you plop in a satisficing placeholder for some lacuna, you have to be able to back out of it if it turns out to do more bad than good. That means part of your "artful choice" is to avoid preempting alternatives ... avoiding lost opportunities to the best you can.

Violence, in general, can be reversible. Death isn't (as far as we know). And by "death", I really mean lost knowledge. If that gender-bending protester happened to be the next Alan Turing, you definitely don't want to "punish" her so as to preempt emanant genius.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ