[FRIAM] Another Abel prize interview

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Thu Jan 21 11:02:09 EST 2021

I first met Peter Lax when I was a grad student, He and my PhD advisor were good friends and he was visiting our group at USC. It turned out that Peter and I went to the same high school in NY, something he never forgot. I think it was when I was visiting my parents a little later that Peter invited me to give a talk at Courant. It was a pretty scary experience for a young grad student but it went well and we later had a wonderful lunch with his wife in Greenwich Village.

It was much later when I came to NM and met Reuben that we realized our mathematical connections.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>