[FRIAM] exploiting the uncanny valley...

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jan 22 11:46:28 EST 2021

Jon -

I appreciate your observation about approaching the UV from either side,
there is definitely an asymmetry, though as with  my earlier references
to "estuarial" it seems like there must be some intermediate territory
where one can wash or slosh back and forth each direction and find some
commutivity?   I suspect *someone* has done some research/investigation
on this in the realm of Max Headroom
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reMRbvXfqAo>?   I didn't bother to
Google but it seems like synchronicity if someone hasn't done a Headroom
workup on Trump, especially with "Network XXIII, a world where nothing
matters but ratings!".

I am also reminded (as I often am) of the Inter-reality
<https://journals.aps.org/pre/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevE.75.057201> work
of Gintautas and Hubler when I see the coupling, for example, of the
slime-mold and the robot face and when I think of the coupling of
individuals in social network contexts like Instagram (followers and
influencers) where the fans influence the influencers as much as
vice-versa, or in odd hysteresis loops.

I think your point about identity and sources of information are very
relevant (and related to what I said last paragraph about who is leading
and who is following or who's influencing the influencers).

- Steve