[FRIAM] Acronyms

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jan 25 20:14:54 EST 2021

> SAS GI NST

@NLP - TS;DP (too short; didn't parse) - @SAS

BTW, for computer language wonks,  I've been revisiting APL (A
Programming Language) recently.   I fell in love with it (for about 2
years) at the end of my BS Math/Physics for myriad reasons, including
it's parsimonious yet apt expressions of arrays and linear algebra.   I
was working almost exclusively in physics simulations and perspective
geometry loaded with vectors and arrays as well as the need for
efficient text parsing/generation.  APL's features were pretty concise
for both.

APL was famous for one-liners long before PERL (more appropriately Perl
as PERL is apparently a backronym
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym>?) was invented?

for example:

(2=0+.=T∅.|T)/T←ι
   vs
perl -wle '(1 x $_) !~ /^(11+)\1+$/ && print while ++ $_'

generates primes from 1 to N

@NST @GEPR both are rigorous but not clear (to anyone not facile in the
idiom of the language)

I didn't work with *anyone* else on my APL, even my profs didn't "speak"
APL and I *never* expected anyone except the APL interpreter to
understand the APL I wrote.   The writeup I did on my senior project
included only the barest of APL code, and always formatted to be
readable, not succinct (or cryptic)...

@SAS out