[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:02:23 EST 2021

Interesting. Thanks. I used Ada for 5 years contracting (mostly for the Army) and never once heard any of these terms used that way. And I was part of the group that pitched new projects to our clients. I'm wondering if it simply fell out of use or if I was too holed up in my own little world. We did commonly use the phrases "skeleton" and "fleshing out".

Also FWIW, the straw man fallacy is not solely an adversarial concept. You can straw man yourself. You can accidentally straw man someone. There are 3-way attempts at constructive ... what? ... trialog (?) where each party straw mans the others position on the way to a common ground. Etc.

It's unfortunate that we focus on competitive, zero-sum, and adversarial senses of such things. But that need not be the case.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ