[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:17:04 EST 2021

Very nice fuzzification of the interplay between top-down and bottom-up. I thought about preemptively pointing out that in either usage for the text (yours: extracting reasoning, mine: extracting context), there has to be some prior model. All measurement has a prior model. But your characterization of *harsh* (or not) imposition of that model is a good one, especially w.r.t. the newer ML methods.

After I learned OSC was a dyed-in-the-wool racist, I had to back off and reconsider his work. Compared to Lovecraft, I don't think OSCs work is redeemed. I can live without OSC. I don't think I can live without Lovecraft. So I won't re-read his stuff. But I admit it had a big impact when I did read it. I just won't get the benefit of discovering whether or not I'd see a similar difference to yours, reading it later in life. I'm constantly presented with this "cancel culture" issue. When do you simply stop listening to the monster in the corner who peppers his noxious effluvium with (slightly) useful epiphanies?

Speaking of noxious effluvium, Brett Weinstein will be on Bill Maher tonight: https://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/ 8^D

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ