[FRIAM] of straw and steel

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 21:33:06 EDT 2021

EricS,

Have you looked at Sandel’s Tyranny of Merit or Wilkerson’s Caste?

If on thinks hard enough about “merit” it becomes deeply confusing.  The idea of Merit is something that I got on my own, right?  So working back from now to birth whence exactly did I get that merit.  Even what I got from my genes was random right.  At what point do get to embrace my merit as of my own making?  So far as me, myself, is concerned, it’s all luck all the way down. That is what the declaration of independence means when it says that all [humans] are created equal.

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/