[FRIAM] the slow red-pill

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:22:43 EDT 2021

Yeah, the gun analogy is also an unfortunate trawl. Massively asymmetric things like guns, nuclear bombs, and celebrity influencers are *distractions* from the main point.

What the 3 links I posted target are machines/system(ic)s with very SMALL effects ... nudges, incremental trends that bias over time. Again in that Ezra Klein podcast, Suzman outlines a radical sharing economy of some tribe where if a hunter is *too good* at huting, when everyone's sitting around eating the meat, they trash the meat. "This meat tastes like garbage!" and whatnot so as to symmetrize that hunter's status in the tribe. They don't want to tamp the hunter down too much, because, well, Yay Meat!!!

This same would be true of, say, a machine learning algorithm that *tends* to put more black people in jail than white people. It's nothing like a gun or Kim Kardashian's butt.

--
☤>$ uǝlƃ