[FRIAM] Can current AI beat humans at doing science?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:04:08 EDT 2021

Insight probably requires background knowledge from apparently irrelevant
areas.  If the credit software knew about the importance of gender equality
in our current culture it wouldn't have made those mistakes.  All AI
software needs to read newspapers and some books.

Frank

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 10:36 AM Barry MacKichan <
barry.mackichan at mackichan.com> wrote:

> I think one of the shortcomings of machine learning is that it can learn
> but has no insight.
>
> A recent lesson about this comes from David Heinemeier Hansson, who
> reported that Apple Card gave him a credit limit 20x that of his wife. They
> live in a community property state, file a joint tax return, and have been
> married a long time. Steve Wozniak reported the same thing with a 10x
> factor. Goldman Sachs has a problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Of course they can’t really
> explain why their AI turned out so sexist. Is the only way to correct this
> to throw out the current model and restart the learning from scratch? Is
> there any other way to correct this?
>
> —Barry
>
> On 21 Jul 2021, at 12:08, Roger Critchlow wrote:
>
> The current neural network based AI does add novelty to the solution. It
> learns and gains insight from the data in ways that humans can not.

Frank Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz
Santa Fe, NM 87505
505 670-9918