[FRIAM] The case for vegetarianism

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:02:02 EDT 2021

The explanation would need something like "motivation". Competence is a sacrifice we trade for *energy*. Reading someone else's code (or taking over the family business, or whatever) requires motivation on the part of the reader. The reader has to have that. One way to (somewhat artificially) get that is to allow them to believe they're contributing in a unique way ... to make it theirs ... give them a sense of ownership ... you know, like telling a childish libertarian he owns the mineral rights under his 3 bedroom house. His lawn might be better maintained ... pride in ownership.

When I read authors (or watch infotainment personalities) write things like "there's nothing I can add that hasn't been said better elsewhere", I can feel my motivation crumble. It's like, well if *this person* can't say unique things, then I have zero hope of ever doing so. Any competence I might have pales in comparison to some other person out there who could do it better. So I may as well kill myself.

What that misses, what the "get off my lawn" sentiment re lisp or anything else misses is that we need that energy, even if it's just a cheap trick. "Sure, bless your heart, develop yet-another programming language. That'll help." We roll our eyes and know it won't be any better. But it *will* help, because it gets their skin in the game. Adds to the stew of energy we all feed off. And, as we covered before, it's not really energy, per se, but *free* energy that matters. Energy we old vampires can suck from the youth to live yet another day ... and redirect into our own convictions, our own paths to hell.

--
☤>$ uǝlƃ