[FRIAM] Ramsey a pragmatist mathmatician?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 22:42:39 EST 2021

Friammers,

>From a review by Kieran Setiya of Cherl Misak's FRANK RAMSEY: A SHEER EXCESS
OF POWERS.  Oxford, 500 pp, 25# which appears in the feb 18 issue of the
London Review of Books.  No, I don't read it.  My wife does, though.

Drawing on the American pragmatist C. S. Peirce, he applies to the secondary
system "Peirce's notion of truth as what everyone will believe in the end."
Scientific theories can't be true, for Ramsey, in the sense of picturing
facts,"  but they can be called 'true" when they  serve their purpose
indefinitely, in the light of all future evidence.

Apparently, Ramsey was quite the guy.  Dead at 27.

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/