[FRIAM] what is math?

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:18:56 EST 2021

All things are highly refined crap! ... including all computer programs.

The (not-so-interesting) problem with what you lay out is that some computer programs (e.g. https://isabelle.in.tum.de/dist/library/HOL/HOL-ex/Sqrt.html) are proofs and vice versa. The interesting part is where the disjunction is nonempty. It would be cool to have a list of non-programmable proofs ... or non-provable programs.

The interesting part of what you lay out is that programs make the requirements on their language more in-your-face than in proofs. It would be cool to know how many programs survive language changes ... a bit like how (I imagine in my ignorance) category theory helps us talk about proofs that survive language changes. It's tempting to say "None. No computer programs survive language changes." But that's not entirely true. The exercise with the fast inverse square root hack, where GCC optimizes, in part, by choosing particular ASM routines but TCC does not, shows a language change where the extensional effect is similar but not the same (TCC compiled one takes longer to execute than the GCC compiled one). Typical use of "programming language" says they're the same because both TCC and GCC compile them just fine (and GCC with different -Ox flags as well). But, really, they're different languages because they have a different *product*. Encapsulation is an ideal, a myth.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ