[FRIAM] essentialism

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:31:03 EST 2021

I think the phrase is a virtue signal for "realism". It's an attempt at in-group signaling, saying "You and I know true versus false. So don't attempt to muddle them with me."

Gelman's distinction between social/cultural essentializing vs natural world essentializing brings up the importance of longitudinal data. I haven't looked at their data. Is it longitudinal or merely instantaneous but divided by demographic category? My guess is the latter, because longitudinal studies are notoriously difficult and expensive. Depending on the variance, of course, demo can substitute for longitudinal. (Tu quoque warning: substituting demo for development *is* a form of essentialism.)

But it's interesting to me because I feel very episodic vs diachronic. So, although I'm just as susceptible to preemptive registration (aka essentialism), I feel like I engage more often in the act of essentializing/classifying, but without the commitment others show. I forget the categorization and have to re-categorize all over again. So it would be interesting to measure, say, the exact same child from age 4 to age 10. See if they hold the same categories and how strongly they hold them. Etc. Is the age difference shown in, say College vs Small Town, an instantaneous artifact of the culture at that time? And if you went back and studied the same towns again, say, after some "tectonic" cultural shift, would the data look the same?

Of course, this would also treat "radicalization" and (e.g.) the stories of happy-go-lucky grandpa before Fox News vs grumpy racist after years of Fox News ... or even enculturation into cults, as Dave proposes with the Knowing thread.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ