[FRIAM] Antikythera

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 12:44:05 EST 2021

I have no idea what Marcus' intention was with that comment/link. But it does highlight that  the abstraction/idealization of "digits" and "computer" is a dangerous delusion. So I disagree completely with Steve. Calling the antikythera (or an orrery) a computer is the *correct* use of the term "computer" or "calculator" and calling an abstraction like a Turing machine or ascribing ontological status to √-1 is an abuse of the term.

We all know that computers are actual things out in the world, regardless of whether they crisp things down to discrete or exploit the full parallelism of the world. So, to me, it's the silly abuse of "analog" and "digital" in place of "continuous" vs. "discrete" that's most annoying.

The dangerous tendency of humans to idealize and reify their own brain farts (e.g. Turing machines) is a separate issue entirely.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ