[FRIAM] What is Wealth for?

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Sat Mar 13 00:14:14 EST 2021

"what is Wealth for?"

For now I'm addressing material wealth only. Wealth is simply a vehicle to
accomplish delayed gratification.

You work and innovate to produce goods and deliver services and sell it for
money. If you spend it all immediately then you don't create wealth and
also don't get delayed gratification. Only If you save it  have you created
wealth and get the associated delayed gratification.

So wealth is a necessary component for working  and innovating and enjoying
the benefits long after when you may be sick and or old.

It's valid for both the indivudual, the family and the society and even
humankind.

There's obviously many abuses of wealth but in principle you need wealth
for delayed gratification. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Don't look at all the insanely rich individuals and the huge gap between
rich and poor and conclude that wealth is the problem. Sort out the
problems, keep the baby and throw out the bathwater. At the core you simply
need wealth for delayed gratification.

Above explanation is very simplistic to make the concept clear. In practice
it's obviously much more complicated.