[FRIAM] Spandrel

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 01:00:58 EDT 2021

Steve,
Yes exactly! Humans were not selected "for noses." Humans were (the
argument goes) selected for shorter jaws. The "protruding" nose is what you
end up with after selection shrinks the jaw. So, if you notice that humans
have noses, and you jump straight to asking "Why did protruding noses
evolve? What adaptive function do they serve?" you are barking up the wrong
tree. Ditto impacted wisdom teeth. It would be pretty silly to assert that
impacted wisdom teeth were adaptive, even though they likely resulted from
natural selection through the same pressures that led to noses.

Now, the problem with the "nose" example is that, given the variation in
noses around the world, it is actually quite plausible that nose size and
shape IS adaptive. But that's a different issue ;- )
<echarles at american.edu>