[FRIAM] I am accepting wagers

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:44:17 EDT 2021

It's important in conversations like these to recognize that preconceptions of some whatever task are *usually* wrong. So rather than argue "2 kids in a dorm could do it in a weekend" versus "it requires Oracle and $10M", or anywhere in between, it's best to think with a little humility. My own personal approach is scient-ish. The first task isn't even to state the problem. The first task is to study the domain. Lay out the preeminent usage patterns, *then* discuss which tools in our kit might apply to which usage pattern.

If 1 use case is "sample rocks on Mars" and another is "design a UI your grandma can use" [⛧], then the development method(s) will differ. The main problem is that tech (and government, and pretty much everything else) is dominated by posturing know-it-alls who can't admit that they don't know much at all.

With that, I'll admit that I have zero idea how difficult such a site will be. Were it Trump who signaled this plan, I'd believe it was pulled out of Kushner's hat with no justification. But my guess is Biden's got some team who came up with it and, if I cared, the first thing I'd do is check their creds and read the plan. There's a lot of material to use for such: https://github.com/uswds/uswds

Final thought: While Biden clearly *used* to be solidly neoliberal, implying an inference like Daves, that he'd press for a government contract to someone like Oracle or whatever, he seems to be leaning a bit toward having the government work directly on big (public benefit) efforts. So I wouldn't put it past him to have the USDS do it all this time.

[⛧] I had to click "View More" ... like a thousand times on Yeo and Lin's site to get to Washington. Pfft. Yeah, yeah, I didn't follow their preconceived usage pattern. So sue me.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ