[FRIAM] Spandrel

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 15:00:15 EDT 2021

All,

Please allow me to get even sloppier in my language to capture, I hope, a
different kind of clarity.  Yes, I am "working" a metaphor here.:

Darwinists have often noted that natural selection is a great tinkerer.
This amounts to the observation that every adaptation has both intended and
unintended consequences. Among the unintended consequences, are those that
provide benefits and those that provide harms.  Natural selection can work
subsequently to sharpen the benefits and mitigate the harms.   Now it would
be GUH-RATE if we could work this metaphor in a straightforward way.  The
problem is that we don't really understand the source-domain of the metaphor
all that well.  What do we mean an intended consequence and one that is not
intended, even in our day to day lives.

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/